The subtle maritime influence of sea salt and campfire embers are not overpowered by the lovely sweet sherry notes. With a hint of figs, orange marmalade and rich fruit cake. The finish is softly spicy. Surprisingly well balanced and well worth trying.
Tobermory Distillery established in 1798 by John Sinclair a local merchant. It is situated at the northeastern end of the Island of Mull set in the attractive village of Tobermory home to the ancestral seat of Clan Maclaren. History has it a Spanish galleon, either the Florencia or the San Juan Sicillia while trying to escape the fleet of Elizabeth 1st after the defeat of the Spanish Armada in 1588 exploded and sank 400 yards of the Tobermory Harbour.
It is rumoured that the ship went down carrying a fortune in gold bullion. Each year treasure hunters come to the island in search of great treasure to no avail as the ship has never been found.
Strathmill Distillery is situated in the town of Keith and started its life as an oatmeal mill in 1823. During the whisky boom of 1891 it was converted into a distillery and named Glenisla-Glenlivit.
The London Gin producers W & A Gilbey purchased the distillery in 1895 and changed its name to Strathmill which means “ the mill in the long valley”
The distillery is now owned by Diageo PLC and is a major component in the J & B and Dunhill blends.
It has a nose that is sweet, rich & slightly honeyed. Christmas pudding, with sultanas and tangerines. Very smooth,
Michael Jackson, the famed whisky author, described Strathmill’s house style as “ the whiskies answer to orange Muscat.
Enjoy as a fine after dinner drink.
It has a nose that is sweet, rich & slightly honeyed. The palate is medium dry, very smooth, with tangerines and lemon coming through very noticeably. Michael Jackson, the famed whisky author, described Strathmill’s house style as “ the whiskies answer to orange Muscat. Enjoy as a fine after dinner drink.
Strathmill Distilleryis situated in the town of Keith and started its life as an oatmeal mill in 1823. During the whisky boom of 1891 it was converted into a distillery and named Glenisla-Glenlivit. The London Gin producers W & A Gilbey purchased the distillery in 1895 and changed its name to Strathmill which means “ the mill in the long valley” In 1962 the distillery was bought by United Distillers and Vintners and then in 1975 was under the management of Justerini & Brooks. Strathmill is now owned by Diageo PLC and is a major component in the J & B and Dunhill blends.
The North British Distillery was established in 1885 by a group of independent distillers. Amongst them was Andrew Usher who is credited with being the pioneer of Blended Scotch Whisky. Simply put this is the mixing of grain whisky such as North British which is produced from a Continuous or Coffey still with malt whisky which is produced from a Pot Still. Grain whisky is made from grains
other than malted barley such as corn, wheat, or rye.
The Distillery is situated on the western outskirts of Edinburgh and is the city’s last working distillery.
Today the North British Distillery has a production capacity of over 65 million liters of alcohol. It is an integral component in many
well-known brands including The Famous Grouse, J & B Rare Johnnie Walker, and Cutty Sark Scotch Whisky.
Due to the production process and cereals used, Grain whiskies tend to be lighter and drier on the pallet than malt whiskies. This has lots of flavour and could be mistaken for a Lowland Malt. Sweet toffee, fudge and a sweet long finish. This has lots going on. Highly recommended.
The Gaelic name Mortlach means a “bowl shaped valley,” and the distillery stands in a hollow in the hills just outside Dufftown. There was an earlier illicit still on the site before the distillery was licensed in 1823. It draws its water from the Conval Hills. In 1903 it was thoroughly renovated by the then owner George Cowie. The Cowie family sold out to the owners of Johnnie Walker whisky and Mortlach is still in the hands of successors United Distillers.
This is a full flavoured malt with a lot happening. Tinned fruit salad, pears and peaches. Some citrus. Perhaps butterscotch. For the finish a hint of caraway seed comes to mind.
Miltonduff distillery was built in 1824 close to Pluscarden Priory where the water from the Black Burn was used by the Benedictine monks in the 15th century to brew one of the finest ales in Scotland. It is also said that the distillery mash house was built on the site of the original abbey brew house.
A rich, soft, creamy malt with aromas of marinated fruit with vanilla cream, a hint of almonds, and a rather long sweet toffee finish.
Naturally a lot of sherry. Think Christmas pudding. Raisins sultanas and tangerine.
Littlemill Distillery, which was officially established in 1772 on the site of a 14th century brewery, is situated on the north bank of the River Clyde at Bowling on the Forth & Clyde canal. Prior to 1900 there were as many as 213 distilleries operating in the Lowlands of Scotland. Today there are just five, Auchentoshan, on the outskirts of Glasgow, Bladnoch in Wigtownshire and Glenkinchie in East Lothian, Daftmill in Fife and Ailsa Bay.Throughout Littlemill’s official’ 200 year history, the distillery had many owners but it was in 1992 that the distillery finally ceased production when the then owners went into liquidation. The distillery lay dormant for 12 years when finally on the 4th September 2004, what was reckoned to be Scotland’s third oldest distillery, was destroyed by fire.
Linkwood Distillery which is situated on the River Lossie, South of Elgin, was founded in 1821. In 1936 the distillery was taken over by the Distillers Company and like many distilleries, it was closed during World War 11. When it re-opened the new manager, Roderick Mackenzie, insured that no-changes were made to the distillation process. Under his supervision, even spiders webs were preserved for fear that the whisky would lose some of its character if they were removed.
A hint of sweetness, with perhaps tangerine and caraway seed on the nose developing into a long, satisfying dry finish. The palate has fudge and honey with a touch of green apples.
Laphroaig distillery is situated on the south shore of the island of Islay. The name is Gaelic for “the beautiful hollow by the broad bay.” It malts its own barley and has its own peat banks. It was built in 1815 by brothers Donald and Alexander Johnston, and initially, operated illicitly. In a gruesome accident in 1847, Donald drowned in a vat of fermenting wash. What a way to go.
Apparently the 15 years old is a favourite of HRH Prince Charles and the distillery has held the Royal Warrant since 1994
A typical Laphroaig, just what you would expect. The usual words describe. Pungent, peaty, medicinal (iodine,) sea weedy and smoky. Not for the first time malt whisky consumer or the faint hearted, although not completely brutal; has class.
The Isle of Arran Distillery is situated at Lochranza in the north of the Isle of Arran on the River Clyde estuary. The distillery went into production on the 29th of June 1995. Arran has long been associated with whisky distilling and it is said that by the end of the nineteenth century there were as many as 50 distilleries operating on the island. Most of them illegal it has to be said. The Visitor Centre was opened by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth in August 1997.
Malty, estery nose with a deep honey aroma. The palate is medium dry, very smooth and rounded. Grassy, some mild spice and more honey. The finish is long with lingering fresh pears.
The unique and alluring nature of Single Cask releases means we cannot bring you the same delightful elixirs again and again – once the whisky is gone, it’s gone for good. The expressions live as a fragment of the past, never to be repeated.
We invite you to delve into our whisky archives. Explore past releases and bask in amber nostalgia, accompanied with distillery history and tasting notes from Mr. Hart himself.
Hart Brothers can trace their origins in the licensed trade back to the late 19th century when the family were licensed victuallers and publicans in Paisley, the mill town on the outskirts of Glasgow. It was not until 1964 that brothers Iain & Donald Hart incorporated the company as Wine & Spirit Wholesalers and Scotch Whisky Blenders.
Alistair Hart joined the company in 1975 and it was his responsibility as chief blender to source vintage casks of single malt whisky that were not readily available through any specialist whisky shop or online whisky site. Today, we continue to secure special and rare malt and grain whiskies that are further matured and only selected for single cask bottling after careful tasting and consideration.
We always pride ourselves on continuing the spirit of excellence by offering some of the finest single malt scotch whisky available through our selected distributors overseas.
We make sure our customers can best share with us the single malt scotch whisky experience which is why we add nothing to the malt whisky other than the purest water. Today, we pride ourselves on continuing the spirit of excellence by offering some of the finest single malt scotch whisky available through our selected distributors overseas.
Hart Brothers Limited, 3 Peel Park Place, College Milton, East Kilbride G74 5LW, Scotland
Tel: +44 (0) 1355 247 180 | Fax: +44 (0) 1355 244 615